Pick a short article (approximately 500 to 2000 words long) available online that takes a strong position on a controversial issue about computing and society. Anything with any kind of computer chip in it counts as "computing."
Some suggestions for article topics include:
- Should violent video games be banned, or their sale restricted to minors?
- Should cell phone use be banned in cars?
- Should access to social networks be blocked in schools?
- Any topic about computing and society of your choice
Answer these questions about the article:
- Who is the author? What is the place of publication? What do those things tell you about the point of view of the article?
- What facts underlie the argument of the article? How are those facts documented? Are any of the things presented as facts disputable?
- What values, beliefs, and assumptions are implicit in the article?
- To really understand the issues better, what facts would you like to know/know more about?
- How does the author use language to help make the point?
- What might someone on the other side of the controversy argue? List three key points.
Please write this as one coherent essay that addresses all these points (not a set of answers to individual questions.) Use correct, clear English in writing your answers. Style counts.
Hand in a paper copy of the article with your homework. Include the URL where you found the article on your assignment.
Come to class prepared to discuss your article.